I came across a recipe for a Bacon Cheeseburger Casseroleby Low Carb Yum on Pinterest and immediately decided I had to make it for dinner! It's a cold and rainy night in Los Angeles so it sounded like the perfect comfort food! I didn't exactly have all of the ingredients so I made a few substitutions from the original, I also halved the recipe since it is just my daughter and I!
- 1lb Ground beef, I used grass-fed beef that was 80/20
- 1lb of Bacon! You could use less, but as a bacon addict I used it all:)
- 1 clove of garlic
- A couple dashes of Onion Powder
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
- Something with tomato.... they original recipe calls for Tomato Paste but I didn't have that, so I used a Rosa Alfredo Sauce because it's the only thing I had that was "tomato-y" haha. I have also used Rao's tomato sauce, which I love and is very low in sugar!
- 6oz of shredded cheese (I used Mexican because it is what I had)
- Then you can add some extras! I have added diced pickles before which added a nice kick! Recently I replaced pickles with sliced Mezzetta Peperoncinis and that was yummy too!
Preheat oven to 350, grease pan, an 8x8" pan would be the right size for this serving, I used an 11" oval Le Creuset like this one.
- Cook bacon and cut in small pieces (I cut mine up when it is raw and then bake it at 400)
- Cook the ground beef with the garlic and onion powder
- Drain the fat from meat and mix bacon in
- Put meat/bacon mixture into greased pan as bottom layer
In a bowl whisk together the cream, eggs, s&p, and in my case the Rosa Alfredo (in your case maybe tomato paste). The add 1/2 the cheese into the mixture.
- Pour mixture over the meat!
- Sprinkle rest of cheese on top
Bake at 350 for 30ish minutes, until cheese on top is browned!
My 12 year old daughter LOVED THIS! In fact she ate 1/2 of it in one sitting LOL! Perfect for a cold night when you want something comforting!
ENJOY! Photos were originally posted on my Instagram page