I love Chicken Tortilla Soup and what I love even more is how my house smells after it has been cooking in the crock pot all day! Really the only difference between Low Carb Chicken Tortilla Soup and regular is omitting corn and baking your own tortilla strips using low carb tortillas. Otherwise the soup is naturally low carb, and with the toppings you can add some extra fat!
- 48 oz / 6 cups of organic free range Chicken Broth (I use this one from Imagine)
- 1 1/2 lb of chicken breast (frozen or fresh is fine)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes (I buy the ones with Italian seasoning)
- 3/4 cup onion, minced (I buy pre-cut onions from Trader Joe's.... don't judge me lol)
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped small
- 2 jalapeno peppers, minced (seeds removed)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- pink salt and pepper to taste
I do not add corn because of the added carbs, but you could of course.
- Put all of the above ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours).
- Take chicken breasts out and shred them with 2 forks. Then salt and pepper the shredded chicken and place back in crock pot for as long as you want. I like to put it back in for at least an hour so the chicken soaks up the flavors.
- Stir everything to combine.
Part of the fun of chicken tortilla soup is adding the toppings just how you like it.
- Mexican blend shredded cheese
- Avocado, diced
- Brain Octane Oil (tasteless, odorless, just adds high quality fats!)
- Low carb tortillas cut into strips and baked
- It's super easy to make your own tortilla strips (or chips!). I use Mission Low Carb tortillas, cut crosswise into 1/2" strips and place on a baking sheet. Toss with olive oil and season with pink salt. Bake 8 to 10 minutes at 350 until they look golden. You can also add Tajin to them if you want some extra flavor!