NAME: Cassie Grieser aka @ketocassie
WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
I’m 28 years old, happily married, and Mama Bear to 2 awesome kids. I am a supervisor for a company that provides in-home health care for elderly and disabled individuals as well as an aspiring nurse. I love spending time with my family and friends, going hiking with my husky Ella, playing video games, and reading.
YOUR KETO JOURNEY:
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN KETO?
I have been keto on and off since December 2013.
HOW DID YOU COME TO THE KETO WAY OF EATING?
I was quickly approaching my May 2014 wedding. In an attempt to motivate myself to lose weight before my wedding, I purposefully (and stupidly) purchased a gorgeous wedding dress in a size 12 while I was roughly a size 16. I came to the panicked realization that if I didn't do something quick, my dress would not fit for my big day. I stumbled across the keto boards on Reddit and decided to dive right in.
WHAT KIND OF RESULTS HAVE YOU GOTTEN FROM EATING KETO?
I have lost a total of 50 lbs from keto on top of a previous loss of 45 lbs. Some of my bigger problem areas, like my abdomen and face, have slimmed down a great deal and keep me motivated to continue. My skin, hair, and nails have all improved over the last 3 years and I rarely get heartburn anymore.
HAVE YOU HAD ANY SETBACKS OR CHALLENGES IN YOUR KETO JOURNEY?
I have had a few setbacks and challenges while on my keto journey. The biggest obstacle that I am still working on is my propensity to binge eat, especially after I allow myself a cheat meal. Unfortunately for me, a cheat meal can easily turn into a cheat month and that is a big reason why I have been on and off keto. A major goal I have for myself is to overcome the urge to binge and find balance within my lifestyle. I would love to go grab my favorite sushi every now and then without it turning into a week long carb bender. Another challenge that can be difficult to deal with is the influence of other people and learning how to say no when certain foods are being pushed at me. You can't avoid offending everyone, no matter how polite you refuse, so it's important to feel confident saying no to people anyway.
LET'S TALK ABOUT FOOD!
WHAT ARE A COUPLE OF YOUR GO-TO KETO MEALS?
- Cheeseburger salad is my one of my favorite meals. It's so easy to toss together at home or out at a restaurant.
- Sausage, egg, and bacon breakfast sandwiches. These are so easy to make (especially now that I have an egg mold) and they taste amazing!
Chicken tacos and brussel sprouts with bacon. I eat this at least once a week. I use Mission Carb Balance fajita or soft taco size whole wheat tortillas.
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE KETO ESSENTIALS YOU ALWAYS HAVE ON YOUR GROCERY LIST?
- Heavy whipping cream
- Cream cheese (especially spicy jalapeño flavor)
- Brussel sprouts
- Kerrygold butter
- OhYeah One Almond Bliss bars
WHAT SITES, BLOGS, IG PAGES, FACEBOOK GROUPS, ETC… DO YOU GO TO FOR INFORMATION AND/OR INSPIRATION?
- Reddit (www.reddit.com/r/keto) - So much amazing and free information! Everything you need to start can be found right here.
- Google - I frequently look for new journal studies, news articles, and blogs that pertaining to a ketogenic or low-carb lifestyle. I want to be as informed as I can be and new information doesn't come out too often.
- www.instagram.com/bunny_is_foraging - Cassie is paleo, so not everything is keto-friendly, but she makes delicious and beautiful meals with lots of step-by-step instructions on her story.
- www.instagram.com/ellipticalifragilistic - Kristina is super down to earth, makes yummy food, and is a dedicated gym goer. Her progress and her persistence really inspires me!
- Pinterest - An amazing resource for recipes, infographs, and motivation!
WHAT ARE THE TOP 3 TIPS YOU WOULD GIVE TO A KETO NEWBIE?
- Definitely do your research before you begin, it will make the process so much easier.
- Track your meals! Weigh out and measure what you eat and keep track. MyFitnessPal is a great option for tracking.
- Drink lots of water. Aim to drink half of your bodyweight in ounces (a 200 lb person would drink 100 oz) or as much as a gallon a day. Just pace yourself and drink it throughout the day!
YOU CAN ONLY EAT 5 KETO APPROVED FOODS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, WHAT ARE THEY?
- Bone-in wings (lemon pepper and buffalo/ranch dry rub are amazing!)
- Brussel sprouts
- Spicy jalapeño cream cheese
EXERCISE! DO YOU DO IT?!
DO YOU EXERCISE IN ADDITION TO YOUR KETO WOE? IF SO WHAT IS YOUR WORKOUT PLAN AND WHAT HAVE YOU FOUND TO BE MOST SUCCESSFUL?
I do not currently exercise except for the occasional hike. I would love to begin lifting weights because it has so many benefits to body composition.
DO YOU TAKE ANY SUPPLEMENTS, IF SO WHICH ONES?
I do not currently take any supplements on a regular basis. Occasionally I take magnesium, biotin, and a multi-vitamin.
For the biscuits
- 45g (1.5oz) sugar-free cocoa powder
- 50g (2 oz) Truvia, or a similar granular sugar substitute
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 60g (2oz) cream cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp sugar-free vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5
- Mix cream cheese with Truvia and blend until smooth
- Lightly beat the eggs and mix with softened butter and vanilla extract
- Add the egg mixture to cream cheese and mix well until no lumps
- Gently fold in cocoa powder
- Line a baking tray with baking paper
- Spoon out the mixture into round mounds – they will flatten in the oven
- Bake for 10-15 minutes (some people reported overbaking, so please keep checking them frequently)
- Let cool completely, biscuits will get more crispy when cool
Nutritional information for 1 biscuit (assuming 12 are made from the amounts listed above)
75 calories / 0.8g net carbs / 7g fat / 3g protein
ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO SHARE?
At one time I thought that I could never give up carbs. I mean, what would I eat?! Truthfully, giving up daily carbs has been one of the easiest and best choices I have made. My food choices have actually expanded rather than narrowed as I have looked to foods I never would have eaten on the high carb diet I was accustomed to. Even when I struggle and fall off the wagon, I am still eating better than I used to. If you are considering going keto or lowering your carbs at all, have patience with yourself and trust that the cravings will go away if you push through them. There's good things to be eaten on keto!