This is a recipe that I used to make before I was Keto, it is a Plated recipe, but it can be easily adapted to be lower in carbs just by switching out the typical Moo Shu Pancakes with low carb tortillas and the making your own low carb Hoisin sauce!
This meal doesn't have much fat in it, so you will definitely want to make this a day when you have gotten a lot of fat from the rest of your meals. I of course add Bulletproof Brain Octane Oil to it, like I do most every meal. I also got extra fat by baking the chicken in bacon grease. You could also eat just the veggie and chicken mixture alone and it is delicious!!! I like eating it with the tortillas because it is more of a traditional Moo Shu experience, but it is super yummy without.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 oz of fresh ginger
- 12 oz of mushrooms (I buy a mix with shiitake, oyster and cremini)
- 8 scallions
- 3 tbsp of sesame oil
- 4 cups of shredded red cabbage
- 4 tbsp of Liquid Aminos (in place of soy sauce)
- 1/2 cup of Low Carb Hoisin Sauce
HOMEMADE LOW CARB HOISIN RECIPE FROM SUGARFREECHIC.COM
- 4 tablespoon Soy sauce,dark (Personally, I would use Liquid Aminos)
- 2 tablespoon no sugar added Peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon Splenda
- 2 teaspoon White vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Sesame seed oil
- 20 drops Hot Sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon Pepper
Bake the Chicken....
- Heat oven to 425 to bake the chicken
- Salt and pepper both sides of the chicken and pour 1 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil on top of chicken. Also I had a baking sheet I had baked bacon in earlier in the day, so I baked the chicken in it! A little extra fat and bacon flavor is always a good thing!
- Bake chicken for 15 minutes and then shred it with 2 forks or cut into bite size cubes. I popped mine back in oven for a few minutes after I shredded it just to soak it with the bacon grease a little more.
- At the very end pop your tortillas into the oven wrapped in foil for 5-10 minutes so they are nice and warm!
The Veggies and Whatnot...
- Mince the fresh ginger and garlic
- Wipe the mushrooms clean and slice the caps
- Thinly slice the green part of the scallions on a diagonal
- Cut the red cabbage into thin slices (or buy it already shredded like I do:)
- Heat rest of sesame oil (1 1/2 tbsp) in pan over medium heat and then add garlic and ginger, saute for a couple minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, 1/2 the scallions, cabbage, and salt and pepper - cook mixture down for 8 minutes while the chicken is baking
- While veggies cook, make the low carb hoisin sauce (recipe up above)
- When chicken is done and shredded (or cubed) add it into the veggies and then pour the hoisin and Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce) on top.
- Stir around and heat everything together for a couple minutes. Add rest of scallions.
- Spoon the deliciousness into the tortillas!