NAME: Lele <3 aka @keto.lele
BLOG: YouTube channel for now!
WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
Southern California ayyyy~
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
Hi! I’m Lele! I’m a mom to a crazy, quirky little 4-year old. I’m a Senior Designer / Front-End Developer and I love my career. I love solving problems. :3 If I wasn’t a designer/developer, I would have been either a pediatrician, professional gamer, or an FBI Agent, lol. I also love to draw and paint. :3 I’m a gamer - I’ve been gaming since I was 10 or so, lol... and you can catch me on World of Warcraft, Diablo 3, or Overwatch usually. I play some GOG as well. Here’s my Twitch TV Channel (feel free to follow me, I haven’t done much on there though! :D) :
YOUR KETO JOURNEY:
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN KETO?
Since September 2015
HOW DID YOU COME TO THE KETO WAY OF EATING?
In September, I was browsing around for ideas to “naturally” get off my insulin. I’m a Type 2 Diabetic and been that way for about 15 years. I was tired of injecting and having high BS with my current diet (standard American diet, low calorie, low fat). Even though I was losing weight (I had lost about 45 lbs before Keto), I wanted to keep my BS numbers down. Back then I was taking about 90-100 units of insulin daily. I came across the keto Reddit forum and decided to give it a go. I wanted to try it for 30 days and was really impressed by how much it lowered my BS and was able to get off insulin the next year (February 2016).
WHAT KIND OF RESULTS HAVE YOU GOTTEN FROM EATING KETO?
For the first 30 days, I lost about 16-17 lbs. I felt really amazing! I also lowered my BS from 240 to 140 (average). I had already lost weight before Keto but my blood sugar was inconsistent throughout the day and wanted to find a better solution to my high BS. In total, from Sept 2015 - March 2016, I had lost about 60 lbs on Keto (in total, about 105 lbs) . I also felt better when I was eating strict keto.. No headaches, dizziness, or feeling lethargic.
HAVE YOU HAD ANY SETBACKS OR CHALLENGES IN YOUR KETO JOURNEY?
I thought you would never ask! ;) Yes, ABSOLUTELY. A lot of setbacks, actually. No excuses, just a weakness of the mind. Anyway, back in December 2015 (I was into strict Keto for 4 months, no cheats) - I took a vacation to visit my parents and decided to “reward” myself with 2 cheat days to enjoy the holiday with my family. I feel like that’s when it started. I ended up gaining back about 25-30 lbs since March 2016. One of the setbacks that I’ve noticed is Keto may or may not have contributed a bit to my Binge Eating. Even today I’m not sure and maybe I’ll never know - but as of February 14, 2017 I’m 100 Days Binge Free and I’m quite proud of that accomplishment.
The one thing that I haven’t done is give up. Don’t get me wrong - I’ve really thought about it and almost threw all of it away. It’s easy to feel defeated after losing 105 lbs and then gaining some back. But I decided not to because my health is so important. I want to be able to see my son grow up and play with him without feeling winded. Also, I’m planning on expanding our family and would love to be healthy enough to conceive and carry another baby to term without complications (unlike last time!) So yes, while I did end up gaining almost 30 lbs back, I don’t want to give up on this journey. I just want to keep going until my goal has been met!
LET'S TALK ABOUT FOOD!
WHAT ARE A COUPLE OF YOUR GO-TO KETO MEALS?
Probably my favorite thing ever is Zoodles with some type of meat sauce! It’s filling and so keto friendly.
Another one would be an easy salad with bacon and eggs!
Annnndddd!! Another one would be a Grilled Salmon Salad + Avo, which I looooveee to eat, haha :D
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE KETO ESSENTIALS YOU ALWAYS HAVE ON YOUR GROCERY LIST?
- Pepperjack Cheese
- Peanut Butter
- Coke Zero ( haters gonna hate.. :P )
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Baby Kale
WHAT SITES, BLOGS, IG PAGES, FACEBOOK GROUPS, ETC… DO YOU GO TO FOR INFORMATION AND/OR INSPIRATION?
WHAT ARE THE TOP 3 TIPS YOU WOULD GIVE TO A KETO NEWBIE?
- Eat or drink your electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, sodium). Great keto-friendly food sources would be avocado, spinach, dark leafy greens, dark chocolate, pumpkin seeds, and almonds. If you dislike any of that stuff.. You can make your own drink by mixing h2o + natural calm + lo-salt. (I would research how much you need to put in depending on your body comp)
- Don’t count your calories until after you’re used to eating Keto (without cheating). I feel like this really helped me for the first 1-2 months. Maybe I should revisit this myself.. Haha. :) It allowed me to fully explore Keto without boundaries (aka macros) and TRULY let myself enjoy the diet. After a while, “lazy keto (no macros)” will stop working and you may need to implement macros at some point.
- Don’t eat any low-carb substitute for the first 1-2 months (or until you are used to Keto). This also helped me a lot.. So basically no low carb tortilla, low carb bread, low carb pasta.. Etc. You get what I mean! It’s so easy to implement those in Keto, but even though they’re ‘low carb’, it can trigger unwanted cravings for the “real carbs”.
YOU CAN ONLY EAT 5 KETO APPROVED FOODS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, WHAT ARE THEY?
- Quest Bars
- Half and Half XD
EXERCISE! DO YOU DO IT?!
DO YOU EXERCISE IN ADDITION TO YOUR KETO WOE? IF SO WHAT IS YOUR WORKOUT PLAN AND WHAT HAVE YOU FOUND TO BE MOST SUCCESSFUL?
I try to! For the first 1-2 months of Keto, I didn’t really work out. I just wanted to get used to the diet. I recently started to work out again! I used to love working out on Keto but life happens so…=p and of course, working out does help with your deficit. But is it needed? They do say fat loss is 80% nutrition and 20% gym. Sooo.. I suppose it’s a preference. I know plenty of people who’ve lost weight without working out and I know others who swear weight loss by working out. I prefer HIIT cardio (treadmill or elliptical) but I implement LISS Cardio as well. I want to do more strength training exercises. I think that will help me tone my body (and booty ayyyyy haha).
DO YOU TAKE ANY SUPPLEMENTS, IF SO WHICH ONES?
I take supplements like multivitamins and hair+nail supplements. I tried a pre-workout a few times but I didn’t like the way it made me feel. Maybe I haven’t found the right one. Also, I like protein shakes as well (I’ve tried Quest and ISOPURE)... But again... I haven’t found the right one. :( The Quest one was pretty good though!
WILL YOU SHARE ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE KETO RECIPES WITH US?!
Yessss… my favorite thing to make is Zoodles + Meat Sauce :3 Recipe below!
KETO.LELE’S ZOODLES + BOLOGNESE SAUCE (SERVES 4-6)
- 2 lbs of Ground Beef (lean or not, your preference)
- 1 lb of Ground Pork
- 1 1/2 can of Crushed Tomatoes (28oz - 32oz and I would try to find a brand with the lowest net carb if possible!)
- 3 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Large Diced Onion
- 1 Head of Garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp Dried Basil
- 2 tbsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tbsp Dried Parsley
- 1 tbsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Ground Sage
- 4 Cubes of Beef Bouillon
- 1-2 tsp of liquid Splenda (or stevia, your preference) optional
- Salt (optional - the beef bouillon adds sodium and it may be enough)
- Pepper to taste
- Spiralized Zoodles
- Using a large pan, combine and cook the ground beef and ground pork thoroughly. I usually use a masher on this part. Drain out the excess oil (usually leave a little for the next part).
- In large pot, add the oil from the meat mixture with the diced onion. Cook until you’ve sweat the onion (translucent). Then, add the garlic and cook till golden.
- Add the meat mixture to the onions, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, rosemary, sage and beef bouillon, and splenda (if you like it sweet). Then add the crushed tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix well. Cover and let it simmer on very low for 30 mins - 1.5 hours.
- Serve with Zoodles! Enjoy :D
ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO SHARE?
I loooveee the Keto community! Thanks for letting me be a part of it! <3