WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF:
I’m 36 years old, single dad of 2 beautiful daughters and I am big into football, mma, the beach (mostly Hawaii) and spending time with my girls!
YOUR KETO JOURNEY:
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN KETO?
About a year and a half now.
HOW DID YOU COME TO THE KETO WAY OF EATING?
I was sold on it once I heard Dr. Dom D’Agostino talk about the science of it on the Tim Ferriss Podcast.
WHAT KIND OF RESULTS HAVE YOU GOTTEN FROM EATING KETO?
The biggest difference is the improvement in mental clarity and cognitive function. I also enjoy not having to eat every 2-3 hours.
HAVE YOU HAD ANY SETBACKS OR CHALLENGES IN YOUR KETO JOURNEY?
Yes, there was a transitionary period when I first started that was a little rough because I have been glucose adapted for 30+years of my life. I remember feeling sluggish and tired, especially during my crossfit workouts. I knew once I became keto adapted these symptoms would go away and they did!!! It just takes a couple weeks for most people. So be patient with yourself.
LET'S TALK ABOUT FOOD!
WHAT ARE A COUPLE OF YOUR GO-TO KETO MEALS?
- Top left: Bulletproof coffee
- Top right: Keto Cinnamon Roll (from Questketo.com)
- Bottom left: cauliflower crust pizza with goat cheese, grass fed steak and spinach!
- Bottom right: spinach and onions/peppers sauteed in grass fed butter, two grass fed cheeseburgers topped with guacamole
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE KETO ESSENTIALS YOU ALWAYS HAVE ON YOUR GROCERY LIST?
- Grass fed butter
- Organic heavy whipping cream
- Grass fed beef
- and occasionally bacon!
WHAT SITES, BLOGS, IG PAGES, FACEBOOK GROUPS, ETC… DO YOU GO TO FOR INFORMATION AND/OR INSPIRATION?
I always send people to read Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore first, then I have them listen to my podcast episode with Dr. Dom D’Agostino, and then listen to Keto Talk podcasts as well. That’s where I go for inspiration as well as a couple of sites like ketogains.com and ketogenic.com.
WHAT ARE THE TOP 3 TIPS YOU WOULD GIVE TO A KETO NEWBIE?
- Fat, water and salt are your friends.
- Limit nuts and cheeses.
- Track your macros for the first week or two to know if you’re on track.
YOU CAN ONLY EAT 5 KETO APPROVED FOODS FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE, WHAT ARE THEY?
- Bulletproof coffee
- Almond butter
- Questketo.com cinnamon rolls
- Coconut butter!
DO YOU ADVISE ALL OF YOUR CLIENTS TO GO KETO? IF NOT, HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHICH WOE WORKS BEST FOR AN INDIVIDUAL?
I don’t advise anyone to try it unless they come to me and want to try it. I’ll talk to them about the benefits of the diet and the do’s and don’ts and then let them decide. Then when they’re ready I give them a plan to follow if they really want to try it. I don’t think any diet works perfectly for everyone, but I’ll teach them how to know if it’s right for them. It’s always worth an experiment.
EXERCISE! DO YOU DO IT?!
DO YOU EXERCISE IN ADDITION TO YOUR KETO WOE? IF SO WHAT IS YOUR WORKOUT PLAN AND WHAT HAVE YOU FOUND TO BE MOST SUCCESSFUL?
Over the years, I’ve learned how to workout smarter and not longer/harder. So my workouts are much shorter than they used to be, unless I’m trying to train for something specific. So my workouts range from 5-20 minutes 3-5 days per week. They usually consist of crossfit style workouts or HIIT, which gives you the most bang for your buck in my opinion.
WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE PEOPLE MAKE IN REGARDS TO EXERCISE?
They try and over do it thinking they need to workout for hours and push themselves harder to see great results, when in reality if they focused on sleep and recovery and reducing stress they would see more results from that vs. destroying their body and hormones in the gym. So more isn’t always better when it comes to exercise. You gotta take care of the mental, emotional and spiritual as well and the physical will follow.
DO YOU TAKE ANY SUPPLEMENTS, IF SO WHICH ONES?
Currently I’m taking these exogenous ketones from Keto/OS and LOVING them. Especially when it comes to improvement in cognitive function and mental clarity. Other than that I take BioAstin (hawaiian astaxanthin), pro biotic, digestive enzymes, vitamin D, turmeric and these medicinal mushrooms from FourSigmatic (I’m loving the Cordyceps and Lion’s Mane). That’s about all currently.
WILL YOU SHARE ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE KETO RECIPES WITH US?!
KETO MAN SALAD
- Greens: I like to use spinach, kale, chard, Brussel sprouts and broccoli.
- Protein: 1 hard-boiled egg, grass fed beef, and smoked salmon. (use whatever protein you’d like)
- Fats: goat cheese, guacamole, almonds, (feel free to add whatever “crunch” you want such as walnuts or cashews)
- Liquids: half a lemon, dash of apple cider vinegar (feel free to sub balsamic vinegar), extra virgin olive oil
- Misc: sprinkle sea salt, a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.
- Cut up all of your greens and add to a bowl. This will be your base.
- Next, add your proteins. I don’t measure my protein, so choose the serving size based on your individual needs and lifestyle.
- Squeeze half a lemon over your salad. Add in a dash of apple cider vinegar, and top off with some extra virgin olive oil.
- Lastly, I like to add in a sprinkle of sea salt, and since I love spicy foods, I finish this salad with a dash of cayenne pepper. Not too much, just enough to add a kick to things.
- Mix everything super well and enjoy!
Note: So this is a keto MAN salad, so feel free to adjust the portion and serving sizes to fit your goals, lifestyle and eating habits.
You can watch Drew make the salad HERE!
ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO SHARE?
Just remember that there’s so much more to you than what your body looks like and how much you weigh. Don’t base your self worth on your relationship with gravity. Focus on health and healthy habits first and then weight loss will become a byproduct of living that healthy lifestyle over time. Remember it’s a lifestyle, not a diet...a journey, not a destination. Imua!!! (Move forward in Hawaiian)
6 Month Transformation Program: transform.fit2fat2fit.com