I met Chef Ruben Rapetti on Instagram and instantly fell in love with his beautiful food photos and was super excited to find out that while he cooks all kind of food for his clients, he personally loves the Ketogenic lifestyle and cooks low carb, high fat food for himself at home.
After telling him how much I love salmon and cauliflower he created the recipe below for Poached Salmon with Cauliflower "Risotto" and Swiss Chard!
Follow Chef Ruben on Instagram to see more of his work and I look forward to featuring more of his Keto-friendly recipes here on the blog!
POACHED SALMON WITH CAULIFLOWER “RISOTTO” AND SWISS CHARD
- 2 - 5 oz slices of wild salmon
- 9 oz cauliflower
- 5 oz of swiss chard
- 2 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz butter unsalted
- 2 oz coconut oil
- 1 fl oz lime juice
- 5 leaves of mint
- 5 sprigs of dill
- Sea salt
- 0.5 oz black peppercorns
- 1 liter of vegetable stock
- First put a pot with the stock , the olive oil, the mint and the peppercorns on medium high heat. Bring to simmer
- Pulse the cauliflower florets in a food processor until they are the size of grains of rice
- Trim off Any browned ends from the chard, cut each chard leaf in half, cut out the stem.
- In a pan over medium heat melt the coconut oil and add the cauliflower rice. Roast it for 5 minutes. Add the chopped mint, lime juice, salt and pepper. Reserve
- Clean the pan with a dry cloth or paper towel, being careful if hot. Melt the butter in it and when light brown, add the swiss chard leaves. The brown butter will give a nice nutty flavor to the greens. Season. Keep the chard leaves in the pan.
- Poach the salmon in the simmering broth for 5 minutes or less.
- Place the risotto on 2 plates, the swiss chard on the side, and the slice on salmon on top.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and decorate with dill sprigs.
A little about the chef in his own words...
I am Italian. Born in a little town on the north western coast, close to France. I was part of a Family where the love for food and ingredients is always been very strong. I remember the mornings spent with my Grandfather and father at the market looking for fruits, vegetables or fish.
I actually started to cook professionally in Beijing, China, after a degree in Asian Culture and spent 3 years there. There I fell in love with Asian cooking. After that experience I worked in Jersey Island, in England, and South of France at Four Seasons Hotel.
In Provence, I started practicing triathlons and I discovered a passion for nutrition and good food to feed the soul, but also serve the body. I love the Keto diet to reset the body, boost energy, achieve better performance in fitness and feel better in general. Especially being lactose and gluten intolerant, a ketogenic diet plan always helps me to have balanced nutrition and still enjoy food and give my body what I need to be very active.
4 years ago I arrived in Toronto, Canada, where I really developed my passion for fitness and nutrition. When I am not in the kitchen, I am at the gym, or running, swimming.... Goal for 2017 is to go back to race in short distance Triathlon. I am registered for one already.
Of course at work I am in constant research for recipes of all the kind, but, when home, my nutrition is very low carbs based. I Especially love to cook fish and leafy vegetables. My favorite fat is, for sure, extra virgin olive oil, which remind me home.