This is the 3rd keto recipe Chef Ruben Rapetti has created for the blog! I met Chef Ruben Rapetti on Instagram and instantly fell in love with his beautiful food photos.
This week's dish is a perfect keto breakfast, brunch or breakfast for dinner (my fav!). I love the combination of the eggs and pancetta with yummy veggies like butternut squash and broccolini!
Definitely try this recipe and if you do make sure you tag #KetoInTheCity on Instagram!
OMELET WITH BLACK KALE AND PANCETTA
- 1 oz pancetta cut batonnet style
- 0.5 oz grass fed butter
- 0.5 oz fresh grated parmesan cheese aged 24 months
- 0.4 oz black kale chopped
- 3 whole organic eggs
- 0.1 oz chopped basil
- 1 oz diced butternut squash
- 2 oz blanched broccolini heads
- Sea salt flakes
- Fresh cracked black pepper
- Chili Flakes
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
To learn how to cut batonnet style watch this video!
- Bet the eggs with the parmesan cheese, a pinch of salt and pepper
- In a small sauté’ pan on medium heat add the butter and the pancetta. Roast gently for 4 minutes.
- Add the diced butternut squash, cook for 3 minutes in the fat.
- Add the black kale and cook for 2 minutes.
- When all the vegetables are cooked add the eggs and stir until almost solid.
- Stop stirring and fold the omelette. Press with your spatula on the edge of the pan and flip the omelet on a plate.
- Cook the broccolini with a little of olive oil and chili flakes until the tips are golden brown and nicely roasted.
- Serve them with the omelet.
Chef's Tip: This recipe can be used also for a frittata, that is a flat omelette, much more easy to execute, because there is no need to fold it.
A little about the chef in his own words...
I am Italian. Born in a little town on the north western coast, close to France. I was part of a Family where the love for food and ingredients is always been very strong. I remember the mornings spent with my Grandfather and father at the market looking for fruits, vegetables or fish.
I actually started to cook professionally in Beijing, China, after a degree in Asian Culture and spent 3 years there. There I fell in love with Asian cooking. After that experience I worked in Jersey Island, in England, and South of France at Four Seasons Hotel.
In Provence, I started practicing triathlons and I discovered a passion for nutrition and good food to feed the soul, but also serve the body. I love the Keto diet to reset the body, boost energy, achieve better performance in fitness and feel better in general. Especially being lactose and gluten intolerant, a ketogenic diet plan always helps me to have balanced nutrition and still enjoy food and give my body what I need to be very active.
4 years ago I arrived in Toronto, Canada, where I really developed my passion for fitness and nutrition. When I am not in the kitchen, I am at the gym, or running, swimming.... Goal for 2017 is to go back to race in short distance Triathlon. I am registered for one already.
Of course at work I am in constant research for recipes of all the kind, but, when home, my nutrition is very low carbs based. I Especially love to cook fish and leafy vegetables. My favorite fat is, for sure, extra virgin olive oil, which remind me home.