One thing you don't think of, when you think of eating Keto, is CAKE! But thanks to creative bakers out there you can find lots of Keto approved cake recipes on Pinterest, Instagram and the internet! This recipe came to me through my own blog when I interviewed Sarah Luft aka @livinglowcarbhighfat. The interview and the original recipe she gave me can be found HERE. Since the interview I have made the cake 4 times, once into mini cupcakes, Twice into sheet cake, and now once into an AMAZEBALLS double layer Birthday Cake!!!
My daughter is obsessed with this cake and as soon as I made this cake for the first time, she announced that she wanted it for her upcoming 13th Birthday! Today is the birthday and I delivered! She also informed me that we would be eating it for breakfast haha, so we did!
I made the cakes 2 nights ago and then wrapped them up and put them in the fridge. Last night I trimmed the top off of one cake to even it out and made the buttercream frosting and then frosted the cake. Then I put it in the fridge for a couple hours to let the buttercream harden, and then I wrapped it up in foil (around the cake stand so it was just barely touching the cake), and let it sit in the fridge over night.
I have mentioned this before, but this cake is way better cold! So be patient and let it chill! I made a double batch for the 2 layer cake and I was out of a couple things so see my notes below!
KETO BIRTHDAY CAKE!
Here is the recipe doubled for a 2 layer cake:
- 10 Eggs (I use Vital Farms)
- 1 stick (cup) melted butter (I use Kerrygold salted)
- 1 can of pure pumpkin puree
- So technically you need 2 cups of pumpkin, but 1 can is only about 1 1/2 cups and I didn't have another can, so I added 1/2 a cup of cream cheese to make up for it! It worked! (I used this Pure Pumpkin)
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- I forgot about the lemon and didn't have one, I squeezed a thing of lime juice I had in the fridge but there was barely any in it. So I poured a little Zevia Cream Soda in the mix instead, because I didn't have anything lemony haha. I couldn't tell the difference when I ate it!
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean
- 1 cup coconut flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 cup xylitol (or sweetener of choice, I used Truvia at 1/2 the amount)
- 2 tbs cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- Combine wet ingredients and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
At this point you can make muffins, one cake in a large loaf pan, or cook separated batter in individual well buttered mini loaf pans. For the double layer cake I bought a pack of 2 cheap cake pans at Target and sprayed them with Coconut Oil Spray (also from Target because I live there:). The pans were like $1.99 so I was worried, but they worked perfectly! The cooking time will vary for the different preparations, but it will likely take at least 35 - 45 min. Just watch it and check it with a toothpick.
Cooking temp: 350
KETO BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 10-12 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 1 stick (cup) butter (softened)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sweetener of choice (I used confectioners swerve to taste)
- I also put a couple tbsp of heavy cream in the buttercream to thin it out a bit, thatpart is optional