I love this recipe so, so much and it first came from my interview with @livinghighfatlowcarb! She created this delicious pumpkin puree based low carb cake that is kid approved! I have previously shared this cake recipe made as a cake, as mini cupcakes, a double tier cake I created for my daughter's birthday, and now baked donuts!
One tip about this cake is it is good warm, but it is AMAZING cold! So be patient and let is set in the fridge before you eat it!
- 5 Eggs
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree (Jen's note: I used this Pure Pumpkin)
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup xylitol (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- Combine wet ingredients and mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients and mix well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
At this point you can make muffins, one cake in a large loaf pan, or cook separated batter in individual well buttered mini loaf pans, as I did, to make layers. The cooking time will vary for the different preparations, if you bake it altogether in a loaf pan, it will likely take at least 35 - 45 min.
Cooking temp: 350
You can double this, tripe this, etc.... I also added heavy whipping cream to mine to thin it out when I used it as icing for the donuts.
- 4 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tbs butter (softened)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean.
- Sweetener of choice to taste. (I used stevia powder.)
Mix well until smooth & creamy.
With the double batch of frosting + whole cake
54g net carbs / 54g of protein / 322g of fat / 3552 calories
Divided by 24 (I made 24 mini donuts)
2.25g of carbs / 2.25g of protein / 13.4g of fat / 148 calories